Exhibition of the collections
The Museum of the Order of Liberation is dedicated to the order founded by General de Gaulle during World War II and to the Companions of the Order of Liberation. Its collections retrace the journey of Free French and Internal Resistance fighters and those who were deported for resisting Nazi oppression. Recently renovated, the museum presents over 2,000 pieces illustrating Companions’ journeys in a 1,200-m2 space.
The personal documents and artefacts that make up the permanent collection were mostly donated by the Companions of the Liberation themselves or by their families. They testify to the commitment and ordeals experienced and retrace the history of Free France from 1940 to 1945.
The permanent exhibition presents the Companions’ journeys in three main sections:
While many of the pieces are highly exceptional due to their rarity, they are also special because of the people they belonged to.
Of note amongst the pieces on display are items of clothing that belonged to Jean Moulin and Commandant – later Marshal – Leclerc, pennants taken from the enemy on the battlefields of Africa and Europe, weapons, insignia and emblems of the Companions of the Liberation, the first Free France naval flags, original drawings produced in concentration camps, tracts, newspapers and clandestine radio transmitters.