town in the Vercors region, which, thanks to the patriotism
of its inhabitants, sacrificed itself entirely to the cause
of the French Resistance movement in 1944. It was the main
landing area for Allied parachute divisions on the plateau,
and always helped the Maquis fighters in any possible way
in their effort to gather weapons. It was violently bombed
on the 14th of July, attacked by 24 German gliders on the
21st and the 22nd of July. 72 of its inhabitants were massacred
and all of its houses were burnt by a merciless enemy. A martyr
in its faith in the resurrection of the Country."
named Companion of the Liberation by decree, August 4th, 1945)
the winter of 1942-1943, the first members of the Resistance, who
started out with the "Franc-Tireur" movement, found their
home in the Vercors mountain range, a veritable natural fortress
in the Drôme region. When the Laval Government set up the forced
labor program, young people refused to go work in Germany, and they
naturally went into hiding from the police in inaccessible places
such as the maquis, an area covered with scrub and bushes. Like
other militia, the maquis of Vercors came into being in this way,
as large number of young people gradually became organized by the
local resistance movement, mainly officers of mountain infantry
battalions of the inactive armistice army, and Uriage Management
early 1943, Pierre Dalloz came up with a strategic plan. This plan
consisted in using the Vercors plateau as a landing base for the
Allied forces that – when on missions in Grenoble
and Valence –
would cut off the German retreat upon the liberation of the territory.
This plan was approved by the French movement in London, and was
named the "Montagnards" (Mountaineers) plan.
November of 1943, the Vercors received its first weapons and equipment
dropped with parachutes. The first German attacks against the Vercors
took place on the 22nd of January 1944, at the Grands Goulets, and
on the 29th, at Malleval (Isère region).
on, Vassieux was known as one of the main centers of the maquis
resistance. From the 16th to the 24th of April 1944, the town -
located on the Vercors plateau, at 1,000 meters – underwent
a repressive operation, carried out by the collaborationist militia
commanded by d’Agostini. Several farms were pillaged and burned,
people were tortured and deported, and three of them were shot.
the Normandy landing on June 6th, 1944, hundreds of volunteers converged
at the Vercors maquis, anxious to participate. They were placed
under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Huet, the military commander
of the Vercors.
June 13th and 15th, the Germans occupied Saint-Nizier, which provided
the easiest access to the Vercors plateau, before they retreated
to Grenoble. On their side, the maquis fighters waited for the "Montagnards"
plan to be executed and requested that airborne troops be sent.
On June 25th, the Allied forces parachuted
a massive amount of weapons onto the plateau. On several occasions
the population provided its assistance in gathering up the equipment
both in the daytime and at night.
Parachuting weapons onto the Vercors plateau
early July a team was sent on a mission called "Paquebot",
which involved preparing a landing field in Vassieux, by the Algiers
authorities. But following a series of disagreements and errors
with dramatic consequences, the "Montagnards" plan was
never carried out. In fact, the outcome was the opposite of what
had been planned, as the fighters became caught in a trap.
July 14th, after the allies had dropped over a thousand containers,
the German air force bombed Vassieux in retaliation. Half of the
town was destroyed and the rest was in flames. 25 people were killed
and bombing was systematic until July 21st, while the German mountain
divisions blocked all access to the plateau.
July 21st, 1944, the enemy troops began their attack and marched
towards the plateau. At the same time, 400 S.S. paratroopers on
twenty gliders landed by surprise on the Vassieux plains. The town
was besieged and, for three days, combat was fierce. With incredible
cruelty, the Germans tortured the townspeople who were unable to
get away, and the FFI they managed to arrest. 82 inhabitants and
120 FFI fighters were thus massacred in and around Vassieux, which
was in ruins. For three more weeks the last survivors were tracked
down relentlessly by the Germans, who occupied the ruins of the
practically non-existent town.
In the end, there were 840 French victims
in the Vercors combats.
The ruins of Vassieux-en-Vercors
the end of July of 1945, during the first commemoration of the combats
of the Vercors, before a crowd of resistance fighters and the surviving
population, Georges Bidault presented
the Cross of the Liberation to the community of Vassieux-en-Vercors.
the Companion of the Liberation Communities
Last updated: 28 November 2001
Contact the webmaster